Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions. It also prevents unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children, through its criminal record checking and barring functions.
Go to the official Disclosure and Barring Service website for up to date information.
Arrangements for Handling Allegations Against People in a Position of Trust
Please follow this link for the Arrangements for Managing Allegations of Abuse Against People Who Work With Children or Those Who Are in A Position of Trust procedure.
Any allegation of abuse made against a person who works with children and young people should be dealt with fairly, quickly, and consistently, in a way that provides effective protection for the child, and at the same time supports the person who is the subject of the allegation. The framework for managing allegations is set out in this statutory guidance Working Together to Safeguard Children
This policy applies to allegations against local authority foster carers and local authority residential workers.
- Key Safeguarding Employment Standards
- Key Safeguarding Employment Standards Self-Evaluation
- Safer Recruitment Poster
Working with Children
Suffolk County Council has lots of information on their website around keeping children safe whilst they are working and/or performing in the arts or sporting activities.
Employers, organisations and schools are required to follow regulations when school age children wish to work or perform and these are listed here.
- Apply for a child employment permit - How and when an employer must apply for a child employment permit and what hours a child can work on school days and during weekends and school holidays.
- Apply for a child performance licence - What you'll need to apply and who should apply for child performance licence in Suffolk.
- Apply for a body of persons licence - For school age children; what you'll need to apply and what's allowed under a body of persons licence.
- Apply for a for a chaperone licence - For school age children to take part in a performance; how long a licence is valid for and when it needs renewing.
- Government Guidance on the employment of children